Archive for 2012
We’ve just released our new mobile form platform and we encourage you to try it out now from your smartphone or tablet.
- Form navigation is optimized for touch screen devices with a virtual keyboard
- If supported by the device (browser), a different virtual keyboard should be provided depending on the type of data to input. For example, when a phone number field is selected, the device will show a phone dial with large numbers. When moving to an email field, the keyboard will show the ‘@’ and ‘.’ keys at prominent positions.
- Form adapts to the size of the screen and form layout changes when switching from portrait to landscape mode (or conversely)
To access the mobile version of a form, use the URL http://m.f8s.co/your-form-id or add ?mobile=yes to the FormSmarts.com URL of the form.
e.g. If the URL of a form is https://formsmarts.com/form/lqh, you can access its mobile version at https://f8s.co/lqh or https://formsmarts.com/form/lqh?mobile=yes
Once the platform goes out of beta (i.e. public testing phase), FormSmarts will automatically serve the desktop or mobile version of a form depending on the client device.
Besides the iPhone and iPad, we’ve tested mobile forms with a wide range of Android smartphones and tablets, as well as BlackBerry devices. Please share with us your experience using mobile forms with your own device.
Here are two easy tips to increase online form conversion from paper material: bridge the offline-online gap by allowing people to register for your next event, pay their membership fee, or sign up for your newsletter on the spot from any poster, brochure or printed document.
You are probably aware that you can easily share a form with your user base by email or on social networks using the FormSmarts.com URL that comes with each and every web form. What you may not know is that FormSmarts has two features that allow you to share online forms on printed material.
Using QR Codes & Short Form URLs
You can and should take advantage of the dramatic increase of the number of smartphones and tablets in the last few years to give people a convenient way to access your forms on the spot with their smartphone (or tablet) by either scanning a QR code that will lead them straight to your form or by typing a short URL (for those users that don’t yet have a QR code scanner app on their device).
Printed material where you should consider printing the QR code and short URL of your forms include: posters, invitations, printed newsletters, ads, brochures, job specifications, tags,… and even t-shirts.
Send us a picture of printed media where you use a FormSmarts QR code or short URL and you could win yourself a free Pro subscription! The best three entrants will be chosen on Jul 31, 2012 and will get a 1 year Pro subscription and their picture published on FormSmarts.
The Event Notification API allows you to have FormSmarts send a machine processable ‘push’ notification message to a script on your website (or for that matter to any URL) to process the information that has just been submitted through one of your online forms. You can use the Event API (a.k.a. Web Hooks) to integrate FormSmarts with your database, website or any online service or application.
How to Integrate
Whereas this feature is mainly targeted at developers, creating a script that does something useful with the data received from FormSmarts is actually not difficult. The API is fully documented with examples in PHP.
- You first need to create a program/script to process form data and upload it to your web server. Data is sent in JSON format, which is supported natively by all modern programming languages.
- Then register the script’s URL with FromSmarts
- Whenever a form is submitted, FormSmarts will send the data submitted through the form as well as other data pertaining to the form response (e.g. payment information if the form involves a payment) to the URL you have registered.
Have a Great Idea?
If you have a great idea about how you could use FormSmarts API, let us know: we have several Business Starter subscriptions to give away.