Verifying Your Site & Showing Your Site URL on Your Forms
When submitting online forms, users often include personal information such as their name and email address. When doing so, they need to trust they are disclosing information to the person or organization the intend to.
Increase user confidence and form conversions by letting us verify you own the websites you use with FormSmarts. FormSmarts will then display your verified form owner name on all your forms.
Example: You have built a form with the return URL http://www.example.com/thankyou.html. Once we have verified you own www.example.com, we'll be able to display a notice on that form saying that the form data recipient is www.example.com.
How to Verify Your SiteTo verify your sites, sign in to FormSmarts, and choose the Websites option in the Settings tab of the form builder.
As part of the verification process, you will be asked to create a file on your web server. Do not remove that file after your site has been verified, since we'll check from time to time if the file is still there.
Frequent Site Verification Problems
Your server doesn't return a 404 "Not Found" error when expectedTo verify a website, FormSmarts checks that:
- you have placed a file with the appropriate name in the root folder of your website
- requesting a non-existing file on your site returns a 404 "Not Found" error
Your site URL is a redirection to another URLWhen checking http://www.example.com/, we expect to find the verification file exactly at that URL, not at http://example.com/ or http://mysite.example.com/. FormSmarts robot doesn't follow redirects.
You created a file with an incorrect name or location
- you used a
.htmfile extension instead of
- the filename is incorrect
- you place the file at the wrong location on your server
Is site verification required to create web forms?No, form owner verification is not required, but recommended. You can create fully functional online forms without verifying your site, but you won't be able to display your site name or logo on your forms.
My website is at http://example.com/ex/ but I am asked to verify http://example.com/For verification purposes, we only consider as a website:
- domain names (i.e. example.com)
- hostnames (i.e. www.example.com, mysite.example.com)
If you are unable to verify your site with the process describe above, you should still be able to verify your site by adding a record to you site's DNS.
- Log in to the DNS admin console for your domain name. The organization managing your DNS is usually your web host or domain name registrar. Large organizations host their own DNS or rely on a specialized provider.
- Create a new DNS record
TXTas the record type
- Under Host or DNS Name, enter
_formsmarts.www.example.com, replacing www.example.com with the site you want to verify. Make sure your site appears exactly as listed in the Settings Tab of the form builder, under Websites
- Copy your Site Verification Code from the Settings Tab of the form builder. If the form builder asks your to create a file named syronex857ea2e039c4f0ed.html, your verification code is 857ea2e039c4f0ed
- Paste the Site Verification Code under Data or Address
- Please wait 10 to 60 minutes for DNS changes to propagate over the internet then click on Verify Site again in the Settings Tab of the form builder.
Note: Do not remove the DNS record once your site has been verified.