How to Create a Secure Form & Securing Your Forms with SSL
Customers with a FormSmarts Business plan may secure their online forms using the instructions given in this document. After implementing the changes, all information transiting between web form users and FormSmarts, and FormSmarts and your computer will be exchanged using the standard secure protocol (SSL).With SSL:
- Information is encrypted while in transit to prevent snooping by third parties
- Authentication mechanisms ensure information is indeed submitted to and retrieved from FormSmarts servers.
Check the Strength of Your PasswordThe single most important step to secure your data is to pick a strong password. Please check the strength of your current password on FormSmarts' registration page. If the score reported by the strength meter is anything other than ‘good’ or ‘great’, change your password immediately. Please check recommendations for choosing a strong password at the bottom of this page.
Change the Form Embedding CodeFirst, edit the form embedding code published on your website so that each of the two occurrences of http is replaced by https:
<iframe ... src="https//formsmarts.com/form/5u37?mode=embed&lay=1" scrolling="auto" marginwidth="0" ...> <a href="https://formsmarts.com/form/5u37"> Can't see the form? Click here</a>. </iframe>
Use the Secure URL for Standalone FormsIf users are going to access the online form directly by its FormSmarts.com URL, simply change the protocol part of the URL from http to https:
Access Form Responses Online or Download a PDF Report
Important: Since secure form responses are not shown in email notifications, secure forms will not work unless data storage has been enabled for each of the forms.
Standard email protocols are not secure, and it would not make much sense to allow users to securely submit information at one end, while retrieving form data by non-secure means at the other end. For this reason, email notifications sent to secure form subscribers do not contain the form data itself, but only links to the data on FormSmarts. Form responses can be both viewed online and downloaded in PDF format. They can also be retrieved using the Excel report generator.
Secure Form Data ReportingWhen visiting FormSmarts website to export form responses in Excel/CSV format, always access the reporting tool using the secure URL https://formsmarts.com/report (you may want to bookmark it now).
Security TipsThe overall security of a system is only as good as its weakest part. Here is a security check list:
- A password of ten characters or more is recommended.
- MiX uPpER and loWercaSEs.
- Use numbers and special characters: ~!@#$%;(^_…
- Avoid obvious substitutions like '0' for 'o' and '1' for 'l'.
- Do not use simple passwords based on dictionary words or character patterns like 'qwerty' or '87654321'.
- Never use the same password on multiple sites.
- Do not share your password with anyone.
- Never click on ‘reset password’ requests in emails — instead go directly to the FormSmarts homepage and follow the password reset link on the login screen.
- FormSmarts staff will never ask you for your password.
- Ensure your password is not written anywhere where it could be accessed by a third party.
To change your FormSmarts password now, visit this page.