Archive for August, 2021
You can add a digital contract to a form with the Agreement form control. An Agreement allows your customers to read and keep a copy of contracts included on a form.
Forms that allow people to register for an event or purchase a service online invariably require the seller to describe the terms of the service provided in a contract and ask the buyer to read and accept the agreement before proceeding with their registration or purchase.
Contractual agreements binding both parties often include a liability release or waiver, terms & conditions and a privacy statement.
The Agreement (shown above) is a form control dedicated to this purpose. It allows:
- The form owner to edit and publish a contract with automatic versioning
- Form respondents to comfortably read the contract and keep a copy of it
Publishing a Contract
To create or edit an Agreement, visit to the Fields tab of the form builder. The text of an agreement supports links and basic formatting: bold, italics, underlining, and bullet points.
Updating an Agreement: Versioning
When you update an Agreement, one of two things happens depending on whether it has binding parties. An Agreement has binding parties if at least one person submitted the form that holds the Agreement.
- If the contract already binds you with at least one form respondent, a new version of the contract/agreement is automatically published. Subsequent form submissions will use the new version of the contract, while previous versions still apply to past form responses.
- If the contract is not binding you with any customers, for example because you are still working on the form design and it isn’t live yet, you can update it without publishing a new version.
- All versions of an agreement with binding parties are kept online for the lifetime of the form, even if the agreement is deleted. They are removed if the form is deleted.
Agreements are currently limited to 20,000 characters, please contact us if you need to add longer contractual documents to a form.
Users can read the contract in a scrollable area of the form, open it in a larger window for comfortable reading (using the Pop Out button), and also view it full screen.
Keeping a Copy of Contracts
Form respondents can download a copy of the agreement for their reference or print it in the dialog accessible with the Pop Out button.
In addition, opt-in and automated confirmation emails and payment confirmation emails contain a link to the permanent URL of the version of the agreement that applied when the person submitted the form. PDF receipts and printouts also show the shortened URL of the agreement.
The URL and shortened URL of each version of an agreement are valid for the lifetime of the form.
Signing Digital Contracts
A signature captures a person’s consent and agreement to a contract.
You can allow your customers to sign a digital contract with an E-Signature, as illustrated above. Please feel free to try our demo:
Including a Contract in Printed & PDF Form Responses
FormSmarts doesn't provide the body of contracts in the email notification we sends to form recipients for clarity. We show a link and a shortened URL (useful if the message is printed) instead.
Customers can access form submissions online and show agreements inline with the Expand button (screenshot below).