How to Manage Check & Cash Payments
If you’re using our popular payment form feature to collect online payments on your membership and registration forms, chances are that some of your customers will want to pay by check, cash on site or by any other offline payment methods.
FormSmarts helps you manage check and cash payments by showing the total amount due on the printable Summary Page of a form and on the confirmation email and PDF receipt that users can get on that page.
When a form is set to the Summary Page mode, users may:
- Request a confirmation email
- Download a PDF receipt
- Print a copy of the information submitted with the form
As illustrated above, the printout, PDF receipt and confirmation message all include a QR code to help you process payments more reliably and effectively.
- Ask users to enclose a printout of the Summary Page with their check
- Scan the QR code with any phone or tablet to access the corresponding form entry on FormSmarts
- Add a note to the form entry to record the check number and update the entry’s payment status
Cash Payments on Site
The Summary Page can also help you manage cash payments by allowing guests to show their confirmation email or PDF receipt (a.k.a. e-ticket) on their phone (or their printed receipt), that staff can scan to update the registration on FormSmarts. Since the amount due also appears in form response notification emails and PDFs, check-in staff can also reconcile e-tickets with the list of notification emails or registration PDFs even if there is no network connectivity.
How to Make an Offline Payment Form
- Create an online payment form with fees formatted as documented
- When you’re satisfied with the result, make a copy of the form with the Duplicate Form button ( icon) in the Forms Tab of the form builder
- Rename the form and set On Submission to “Show summary with print, email & PDF options” in the Submit Actions tab of the Form Details screen.
Can I Accept Online & Offline Payments on the Same Form?
One of the benefits of FormSmarts payment integration is that we won’t notify you until the person has paid so you don’t have to check this yourself each time. If you have a form allowing both online and offline payments, you won’t know which customers have paid online, so you’ll have to review each and every form response.
For this reason, we recommend that you create a copy of the form specifically for check payments and use the Summary Page setup described in the previous section, especially if there are several charges and fees on the form. You’ll then only have to track payments for entries pertaining to that form. You can make a copy of a form in a click with the Duplicate Form button in the upper right-hand corner of the form builder.
Offering a Check Payment Option on an Online Payment Form
If you are making a simple payment form that has a single payment option, you can alternatively include a check payment option on the form using radio buttons or a dropdown list with two options:
Registration Fee ($30 USD) Registration Fee (pay by check)
If the user doesn’t select the online payment option, FormSmarts will skip the payment step and send you the form entry immediately.
Note that people paying by check won’t receive any confirmation email.
2 Responses to “How to Manage Check & Cash Payments”