Advanced PayPal Integration in Two Steps
FormSmarts Advanced PayPal integration is as easy to use as our popular PayPal form feature, but it provides several additional benefits, mainly:
- FormSmarts only notifies you of a new order form submission after the payment is confirmed and verified (no need for manual verification).
- Your customer receives an automated order confirmation email.
- Fully integrated with other FormSmarts features (export to Excel, PDF reports, API).
What Are the Benefits of Advanced PayPal Integration?
FormSmarts standard PayPal integration is easy to use and set up as it requires no change to your PayPal account. A downside to this is that FormSmarts has no way to know if the payment went through or not, and you — the seller — needs to manually reconcile payments and order forms using the FormSmarts Reference Number. That’s usually not an issue for small sales volumes, but can quickly become so as sales increase. At this stage payment processing must be fully automated and integrated with the form processing platform. That’s exactly what FormSmarts Advanced PayPal Integration is doing. Here are the benefits:
- No need to manually reconcile the order forms received with payment notifications from PayPal.
- The seller is only notified of an order when the payment has gone through.
- The transaction won’t appear in Excel exports until the customer has paid.
- FormSmarts verifies that the payment details match those of the order.
- Excel exports include both form data and details of the corresponding payments.
- FormSmarts sends a confirmation email to the buyer with both the order details and a payment confirmation. If you have verified your website and uploaded a logo, your site URL and logo will appear in the email.
- Payment processing is fully automated and if you’re using online/PDF reporting or export to Excel, your order forms are on autopilot — at least for the ordering part.
- Further automate order processing or integrate FormSmarts with your website with a simple PHP script using FormSmarts API.
Setting Up Advanced PayPal Integration
To set up advanced PayPal integration, first create an order form with prices formatted in the same way as you would do with FormSmarts standard PayPal integration. Then visit the Forms tab of the form builder and select Integrate with PayPal using advanced integration in the Form Details screen, as illustrated below.
It’s now time to log on to your PayPal account to add your secret PayPal Notification URL. PayPal will use that URL to communicate with FormSmarts. You’ll find your notification URL in the Security Settings section of your FormSmarts account. Note that the URL contains your private security key and it should therefore be kept confidential.
In your PayPal Profile, go to My selling tools > Getting paid and managing my risk > Instant payment notifications and follow the Update link. Paste your URL in the text box provided and make sure IPN message delivery is enabled before saving.
Important: If you have added multiple email addresses to your PayPal account, please note that your Primary PayPal email must match your FormSmarts login. That is required for FormSmarts to be able to verify that payments are sent to the correct PayPal account. You can change your login if needed.
If your account allows multiple PayPal recipients, payments will be sent to the email address matching your FormSmarts login by default. To have payments sent to another PayPal account, add the corresponding email address to your FormSmarts account and verify it, then contact us.
Advanced PayPal Integration comes with all Business-level plans and doesn’t work with recurring payments/PayPal subscriptions at this time.
14 Responses to “Advanced PayPal Integration in Two Steps”